The Great Outdoors?

Just so you know…I DON’T camp.

Nope. Not one bit.

I know, I know, I know…. they say it’s:

• SO much fun (I say: Way too many bug bites), and
  • SO relaxing (I say: Exhausting from not sleeping well) and
  • SO fulfilling to be “close with nature” (I say: Peeing in the trees, lake, or behind a bush is too close with nature for me.)

I just don’t camp.

You CAN’T convince me. I won’t be sold.

And before you start to think it (or maybe JUST AS your starting to think it!) NO. I AM NOT some prissy missy who is scared of a little spider biter.

(Although, come to think if it, I am not particularly fond of spiders so maybe that’s not the best example but, you get the point right?).

I LOVE being outdoors – A hike, a swim or maybe a long bike ride rain or shine – bring it on!

I Don't Camp

The Camping Gene I Wasn’t Born With

Camping? Please don’t judge me if you do camp. I just think the “camping gene” missed me at birth.

1. I love a good bed and a comfortable nights rest too much (especially after having 3 kids!)
  2. I would severely miss the comforts of a bathroom where you could actually sit on a toilet seat and hide from the kids close the door while you take care of business.
  3. And I even though I am all for opening the windows to let in a cool breeze on a hot, say 98° day (yes we do get those here in Ohio!), I am all for turning on our air-conditioning to remain comfortable when needed.

Camping? Sleeping bag bed. Port-a-potties/out houses. Hot, sweaty, sticky days and cold, freezing sleepless nights.

Then, top it off with 3 whiny kids under the age of 8…

Really?

N. – O. Nope!

I DON’T camp.

Not one bit.

Camping On-the-go Momma Style

But I do love a good vacation!

It is something my parents turned me on to at an early age.

So instead of camping, we are about to embark on an expensive a Dream vacation.

A vacation with lots of family fun, entertainment for all, and a promise from the staff to “whisk” the kids away for tons of fun after every meal (I swear I read that somewhere in the literature that we were sent! I swear!)

By the time you read this we will have returned from our 5 day Disney Cruise.

Yes. That is how we do camping On-the-go Momma Style.

Because, well… how good can the beds be on a cruise ship?
Bathrooms, come on! TI-NY!
And air condition?… well, you got me there. But it’s sure to be hot in the Bahama’s in August right?

Yes. I know. Pathetic.

Camping? Cruising?

They don’t even compare.

Where Camping MAY Just Have a Leg Up

There is a pro to camping though. (Although campers might see it as a con?)

The pro: A “hope” of pirated free WiFi in the wilderness. A “hope” of a lone 3G network on a overgrown trail. A “hope” of some type of internet signal somewhere.

So yes folks. For me, cruising is sort of like “camping.” (Don’t believe me? Read here for a casual clue to my twitter/facebook addiction) Because on international seas, this cheap momma is not paying for internet access.

Facebook? Twitter?
Like Me. Follow Me. I promise I’ll be back soon!

But for now. I’m “camping.” Bon voyage (or maybe I should say Happy Trails?) to me!

Leave a comment and let me know you’ll be waiting for my return!? Have I got camping all wrong? Is there something you could possibly say to change my mind about a trip to the wilderness? Or is cruising your idea of “camping” too?

P.S. I am randomly linking up with Miss Elaine-ous Monday! Weeks Later… Who woulda guess???
Come check out some of the other great “Miss Elaine-ous Posts!”

This entry was posted in Little Things About Me, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to The Great Outdoors?

1. alyssa bauer says:

Another fun post Kate! You are too funny. I could have guessed that you are not a happy camper about camping. We couldn’t even convince you guys to go to the PA farm with us, because it think it was “too close with nature” for you. You are right though – your family does spend a lot of time doing outdoor activities. I hope the Disney cruise was wonderful. I’m sure the kids had a blast and I hope you post some photos!

• Kate says:

Oh, I have many a photo to share… How to whittle them down is the question! We had a blast Alyssa. And you’re right … No PA farm for me… I think I will just have to live vicariously through you “farm” vacation stories 🙂

2. Tatum B. says:

We did our first family camping trip this summer. Thankfully, we had an amazing campsite and were within a 100 ft of the bathhouse/restrooms. I am all for being one with nature but peeing in the woods is a deal-breaker! I could have done without the bugs & spiders but survived. We had a GREAT time and are looking forward to doing it again soon.

A Disney cruise sounds like a DREAM vacation indeed. Can’t wait to hear all about it and see some pictures!

• Kate says:

As I said … The camping gene must have missed me? Because I know a ton of people who swear by camping. 🙂 Can’t wait to share the cruise photos with you Tatum!

3. Kara says:

Except that our bathrooms weren’t TINY! 🙂 ha ha!

4. Kim says:

I read all these blog posts about moms going camping with the children (and see all the cute photos from their trips) and the kids seem happy, but what I’ve always wondered and wanted to read and see are the children at night in the tent. Do they sleep at all? Are the parents up all night? This worry has kept me from trying to take my children camping.

I haven’t gone camping a lot in my life, but I think I should try it so my girls know what it is like to sleep in the great outdoors. But I think I will hold off until they are at least 10 and 12 years old 🙂
    Kim recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: A Moment of Silence

• Kate says:

“Do they sleep at all? Are the parents up all night?”

Tent / cruise ship cabin… Probably pretty similar 🙂 Except of course for the air conditioner 🙂 If you have the itch to go camping Kim, I would just do it! Just make sure you thoroughly wear out them kiddos! LOL. (And for the record, 4 nights in a cruise cabin – a.k.a. our tent – was MORE than enough for this momma!)

• Kim says:

I’m glad to know about the cruise sleeping, too, because we’ve been considering that as an option for a family vacation once my husband is done with his tour here. I think you got it right, to wear the children out so much that they have to fall asleep! I think maybe our first step will be to set up the tent in our backyard and have them sleep there with my husband (ha ha I’ll use the excuse of having a newborn to stay inside!)
        Kim recently posted..The Dreaded Suit

5. You could try Urban Camping! Set up a tent in the backyard…do all the traditional camping “stuff” then have hubby and the kids sleep outside in the tent and you head into the house for a nice peaceful slumber! We just did this last weekend and it was FABULOUS!!!

Can’t wait to hear all about your cruise!
    Hopes@Staying Afloat! recently posted..Who IS This Murphy Guy Anyway and Why Does He Have a Law?

• Kate says:

Yes, our neighbors do this… I could possibly be talked into this… Maybe? Just to give my kids the “experience.” LOL I do feel bad that my dislike of camping (something that quite possibly could be fun???) might taint my children. Of course, more than likely it could do the exact opposite and turn them into campground junkies (you know, Murphy’s Law :D?)

6. Ado says:

SOUL SISTER!!!
    You had me at the title.
    I do not have the camping gene either (or the baseball one but that’s another story).
    But it’s hard to say this to people! I send my kids to forest camp and so they are nature lovers. But secretly I prefer the fifth floor of a hotel w. AC and cable! Terrible – but…soul sister!!
    Also we have decided to take that Disney Cruise in the winter too!!
    Hope you enjoy yourself! I know you will. (-:
    Ado recently posted..Where Socks Go

• Kate says:

You will have SO much fun this winter on your Disney Cruise. It was SUCH a great experience for our family! Who would have guessed 2 bathrooms in each stateroom??? One for the shower (AND bathtub!) and one for the toilet! Each had a sink!

Ok. I can’t believe I’ve spent this many words talking about the bathrooms… (but really!! Have you seen cruise ship bathrooms before? And there were TWO!)

P.S. The baseball gene missed me by a LONG run too 😉

7. Camping – I’ve never been and if I never do in my lifetime, I’d be okay with it being one of the things I’ve never done.

A cruise however, that sounds good……..Have fun!
    Alison@Mama Wants This recently posted..Foodie Friday: Lemon Cupcakes

• Kate says:

We had a blast on the cruise! Glad to know there are others out there also lacking the camping gene. LOL 🙂 Thanks for stopping by my new blog!

8. Sandra says:

Oh Kate, you’re a woman after my own heart! I’m with you on all the camping points. This post spoke to the very essence of my anti-camping soul. We are also “camping” this summer in a condo in Daytona Beach. I figure we shall be one with nature by swimming in the ocean with the dolphins. I may even end up with sand in my bikini bottoms so that’s kind of like camping!
    Sandra recently posted..I may not always be here

• Kate says:

I’m glad I could “connect” with your “anti-camping soul” 🙂 A condo in Daytona sounds like a good “camping trip” in my book! Thanks so much for visiting my new blog, I really enjoy checking out your blog 🙂

9. Pingback: Outlasting Life with a Memory | On-The-Go Momma

10. liz says:

I? WIll not camp. No way. No interest. And there’s no convincing me. There is nothing enjoyable to me with camping.

11. Pingback: Are We There Yet? | On-The-Go Momma

12. Elaine says:

I’m not much of a camper either. No one ever sleeps well and well… I’m a BIG fan of sleep!

I’m all about a lovely cabin by the lake with A/C and running water, much like you said.

Hope you had a great time on your cruise and thanks SO MUCH for linking up!! 🙂

• Kate says:

We had a fabulous time on our cruise 🙂 No an amazing time actually.

I loved when you announced your idea of Miss Elaine-ous Monday but forgot all about it yesterday (because it is the one day that I work teaching at a community college). I came home to wind down and saw your Facebook post linking to the Mommy Wars post (which was fabulous and right on) and decided to also link up. Better late than never, right?

Thanks for stopping over to my blog Elaine and checking out my post!

13. Galit Breen
    Twitter: GalitBreen

Oh I so hear you sister!

Living in the midwest I feel like camping is inevitably in my future.

*Shudder*

Maybe when “they” get rid of bugs?! 🙂
    Galit Breen recently posted..The Magic of a Few Days Away

• Kate says:

Yes, there is something about the midwest and camping… but I refuse to let the midwest win 🙂 Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you’ll return!

14. Karen @ Time Crafted
    Twitter: TimeCrafted

I grew up camping, in four states, on both coasts; even hiked my first glacier when I was five. But, I haven’t been camping in years, Years! It’s not that I’m unwilling and I don’t even require many ammenities. But, I’ll no longer cop a squat, so there needs to be a toilet within walking distance. And I want running water. I don’t care if it comes up from a pipe in the ground, with an on/off spigot, but water must run.

If camping isn’t your style, you could do what we did when my parents no longer wanted to deal with all the gear and work and roughing it that goes with camping. They still wanted to go to the lakes (as in Pincrest, Tahoe, Donner, etc.) and the mountains, but no more camping. So, we started cabinning! You get a kitchen, a bed, a roof, electricity, a door to shut the bugs, at least most of them, a bathroom, and the roughing it factor is taken way down. :>

Though, if a cruise was an option, I would be on an Alaskan one in a heartbeat. :>
    Karen @ Time Crafted recently posted..Walk on the Wild Side

• Kate says:

Yes! I’ve considered “cabinning it” 🙂 I am sure I could manage that – what with plumbing, beds and electricity LOL. I might be able to be talked into that. Although… an Alaskan Cruise still sounds WAY more fun (especially after returning from our Disney cruise)!

Thanks for stopping by my blog Karen! I hope you’ll stop back again – I usually only post once a week here, but you never know… now the kiddos (well 2 out of 3) are back in school – I may be tempted to post a bit more… hmmm 🙂