The Missing Hour

It was a Friday. I was by myself. Relaxed and eating sushi in a restaurant.

NO! I swear this is not a dream.

Last week I actually found myself getting out of a meeting early, with an hour still to spare before the babysitter needed to be relieved.

Really? Yes! What’s a mom to do?

All I knew with certainty is that I definitely wasn’t going home, and:

• I couldn’t work (I wasn’t near my office or computer)
  • I couldn’t call my husband (he was in the midst of a meeting)
  • I had no friends available to meet up with (they were all either a.) working themselves or b.) with their kids – and *important detail here* – I wasn’t working AND I was kid-less…)

I remember vividly the following thought process: It’s lunch time… I guess I could drive through somewhere. OR eat in… WAIT… Sushi!? … Yum!

So I did. Because I could. And it was fun.
To be all by myself, with chop-sticks and sushi…
No interruptions. No whining. No phone ringing, or emails to respond to.

And I thought to myself, what a guilty pleasure it was to have one unplanned, uninterrupted, hour of extra time. All. to. myself.

(See self-taken iPhone photo as proof! —>)

The Swap (Earlier that week)

To do a little comparison, lets back track a little shall we? Lets go back to… say… a 2 1/2 hour time span on Wednesday.

It was a not-so-beautiful Wednesday evening and my husband and I had timed it perfectly – both pulling into the parking lot at about exactly the same time.

The afternoon rush started around four.

4:00 p.m. – Kids get dropped off (late) by the school bus
4:05 p.m. – Sort through school bags, get homework started, pack tomorrow’s lunches
4:25 p.m. – Get everyone changed into soccer gear
4:30 p.m. (Promptly!) – Round up everyone into the car
4:45 p.m. – Drop off my son at speech
5:00 p.m. – Drop off my daughter at soccer practice
5:30 p.m. – Pick up my son from speech
5:45 p.m. – Drop off my son at soccer practice
6:15 p.m. – Pick up my Daughter from soccer practice

Which takes us to 6:30 p.m. and the “swap” – the swap that we timed perfectly in a RiteAid parking lot.

My husband (who had picked up our son from soccer at 6:30) swapped cars with me to take all three kids home for dinner. And I? Well I got 5 minutes in the car All. By. Myself…

… to go to our elementary school’s Parent Organization meeting.

As I relish the 5 minutes of silence in the car, I think to myself:

—>  What would I do with just one extra hour… to myself?

The Options of Just an Hour

What would I do if given just one extra hour?
One extra hour in which I wasn’t:

• Rushing from activity to activity?
  • Working to keep the house clean?
  • Trying to fit in a little more writing, or a little more grading, or a few more email responses?
  • Fighting to maintain peace among a sometimes hostile clan of siblings?
  • Or struggling to schedule just one more appointment for flu shots or an orthodontist visit or a dental cleaning or well checks or even broken pinkie problems?

With just one more hour all to myself I might:

1. Hang out in the shower a couple minutes longer.
  2. Or better yet, take a bubble bath!
  3. Go on a bike ride all by myself (and still have time to take a shower afterwards!)
  4. Call a friend to catch-up with (however this would entail that the friend also have a few extra minutes to herself, which could get tricky…)
  5. Have another piece of cheese – with a glass of wine – while reading blogs on my iPad in our La-Z-Boy chair
  6. Get an hour massage (although this would also require extra $ funds all to myself!)
  7. Watch somebody ELSE clean my house (while I have another piece of cheese – with a glass of wine – while reading blogs on my iPad in our La-Z-Boy chair!)
  8. Schedule a vacation. Go to a travel agent to schedule a tropical vacation. (Again, extra $ funds needed – but hey, lets not dwell on this…)
  9. Play our piano (without the extra key poundings brought to you by my three “little Mozarts”)
  10. Eat sushi.

Which takes me to Friday. Where I miraculously was given just one extra hour.
I think I used it wisely? Wouldn’t you agree?

Tell me, what would you do with just one extra hour?

This week I am linking up with Stasha at The Good Life for her
“Monday Listicles” on the topic of: Guilty Pleasures.

This entry was posted in Blogging and/or Writing, Family, Friendships, Little Things About Me, Motherhood. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Missing Hour

1. Stasha says:

Absolutely! I think you A. deserved this hour and B.used it very well. Time alone is only sweet when it is a novelty and because it is your own, you should use it any way you want to!!
    Love the way you did this list and it ends where it began.
    Stasha recently posted..Monday Listicles

• Kate says:

Thanks Stasha! I was so excited that my post worked with your Monday Listicles theme this week. I only post here on my personal blog once a week (I also write a non-profit parenting blog which keeps me very busy!) I had been wanting to link up with you for a while now! I’m slowly but surely getting though visiting this week’s linked up bloggers. Thanks for stopping over to my blog!

2. I’m doing it… reading blogs and drinking wine! All. By. Myself.
    Jamie (@chosenchaos) recently posted..i will not miss this part

• Kate says:

Me too! Same thing > Reading blogs, drinking a glass of wine – except… Working on “borrowed” time (borrowed from my much need nightly sleep!) 🙂 Where is my “25th” hour today???

3. Eating sushi is the best way EVER to use an hour. Just one more reason you are clearly my soul mate friend. 🙂
    Missy | The Literal Mom recently posted..Snap Judgments – Your Words

4. Tatum B. says:

Two weekends ago the stars aligned and I magically had six hours (yes SIX HOURS) all to myself!

I considered cleaning and doing laundry but the weather was just too fantastic to be cooped up in the house so I quickly ditched that idea. Instead I went Christmas shopping and throughly enjoyed every minute of it.

After a few hours I did venture home and do some cleaning, got myself caught up on emails, uploading pictures, reading, Facebook, etc. but that little bit of time away from the daily grind was good for my soul 🙂

• Kate says:

SIX HOURS… wow! (Notice that I am trying to ignore the whole Christmas shopping thing though… not ready to go there yet! 😉 Ugh. Another topic for another time. Glad you got some time to your self though Tatum! YOU deserve it!)

5. Shell says:

Your #7 sounds like heaven to me!
    Shell recently posted..Pour Your Heart Out: Why the Soccer Field Terrifies Me

• Kate says:

Yep… not sure that #7 will ever become a reality though…

#7: Watch somebody ELSE clean my house (while I have another piece of cheese – with a glass of wine – while reading blogs on my iPad in our La-Z-Boy chair!)

But again, it is good to dream BIG right? 🙂

6. The small pleasures that amuse us as mothers now. We would never think when we were without husband and child how exhausting and busy life would be. Everyday, when I go to pick up my daughter from school I go a half hour earlier and read a chapter in my book. It is the most delightful thing that I do for me everyday. Every mother needs a little bit of me time.

Lynn
    A Mother’s Thoughts recently posted..When Is A Good Time For Parents To Have Sex When You Have Children In The Next Room?

• Kate says:

What a GREAT idea! I often love when we travel a couple hours (and my husband is driving) for the very same reason – in the car you can’t do much else other then read 🙂 Thanks for sharing Lynn!

7. LOVE this list. I love wine, and sushi, and time to myself. Yes, I do believe it is official. We WERE seperated at birth…which means, I miss you dearly we must get together someday!
    Hopes@Staying Afloat! recently posted..I’ve Gone Sailing Again!

8. Optimistic Mom
    Twitter: anoptimisticmom

After reading this the idea of going out to eat alone sounds like a good idea. lol
    I think we always wish for one more hour, and when we get it we don’t know what to do. Sounds like you have a good idea…..Hmmmm I should make a list too, you know, just in case. 😉
    Optimistic Mom recently posted..Tortoise or the Hare, which race are you running?

9. sounds like a great way to spend an extra hour. We never get those – gotta use them well when you do!
    Cam | Bibs & Baubles recently posted..Never Ever

• Kate says:

Yes, extra hours are VERY rare around here also… That is one of the reasons I was so thrilled that I came up with such a good, on-the-spot solution on how to wisely use my extra hour! 🙂