Dissecting Intimidation

“I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me.”
~ Al Franken, as Stuart Smalley on Saturday Night Live

Earlier today I found myself in need of a pep talk.
It’s so easy to watch in awe other people’s accomplishments and feel intimidated.

This upcoming week I will be surrounded by some really amazing, inspiring women as I travel to Washington DC representing the State of Ohio at Parenting Magazine’s 2012 Mom Congress in Education and Learning Conference.

I have to admit, that when I first found out I had been selected as Ohio’s delegate, I was more then a little intimidated.

I applied for the opportunity on somewhat of a whim.

I remember briefly looking at the date of the conference and thinking to myself that I could probably make the date work if I got selected, and then very quickly following that thought up with the fact that I would most likely not need to worry about “making any date work” because the chances that I would get selected were surely…

slim to none.

Yet here I am… less then a week away from flying to Washington DC to:

• Participate in panel discussions hosted by NBC News Education Nation
  • Attend a “Town Hall” discussion with U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan
  • Listen and learn from many other education and policy superstars

I am still floored, somewhat still in denial, and will admit that on occasion have wondered if I am a little beyond my league with this opportunity.

I often put other women’s accomplishments on a pedestal to be inspired by, but sometimes have issues recognizing my own accomplishments.

Yet it is this exact feeling – the uncomfortable feeling of intimidation – that I now recognize as indicating the times in my life when it is most important to push myself outside of my own comfort zone.

Because it is only when I reach beyond my comforts that I truly accomplish great things.

So that’s my goal in the week to come, to remember to push myself outside my typical comfort zone. And also to remember that maybe, just maybe, I have some accomplishments to be proud of too…

Bruno Mars singing just the way you are.

Leave a Comment. Do you ever find yourself unnecessarily comparing your accomplishments with others?

This week I’m linking up with Bianca at Bits of Bee for her Quotable Bits Link-up!

This entry was posted in Little Things About Me, Travel and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Dissecting Intimidation

1. This is so incredible – congratulations!!!! It sounds like it will be really inspiring. And let me know if you want to meet up for a coffee (or better yet, a drink!) while you are here!
    But I Do Have a Law Degree recently posted..Humbled by a Shot (at Life)

2. Elena says:

What an amazing opportunity!! Cant wait to hear all about it!
    Elena recently posted..Every Child Deserves a Shot@Self Sufficiency

Thanks Elana! Really looking forward to my trip to DC for Mom Congress.

On another note, I am so excited to go over and read your link ups for Monday’s “Change the Conversation” at http://www.justbeenough.com/change-the-conversation/ I am horrible at writing for prompts… I think it steams from the fact that I do this sort of thing every Thursday for the National Association of Mothers’ Centers blog (Mothers Central) that I also write for – I write for specific topics. On my personal blog I like to write and then link up when relevant – I had hoped to link up this week with you – but what popped on the screen after typing what was on my mind didn’t seem to directly relate to your topic.

Doesn’t stop me from reading all the link ups though! 🙂

Have a great week!

Wow, what an amazing and exciting opportunity! Congratulations on your successes – I know you’ll do a fabulous job! I can’t wait to read all about it when you get back 😉 Thanks for linking up!
    Bits of Bee recently posted..Quotable Bits #16

Thanks! I am so excited to go. Although it will be strange flying by myself – no kids, no husband. I’ll be sure to write about my experience! Maybe I will even start it with a quote and link up with you again! 🙂

4. Pamela says:

This is what I love about your work; you so often express what I am feeling in a given week. I felt that way about a writing opportunity that I had this past weekend; I was experiencing a lot of anxiety about it because there was a lot of ambiguity about what I would be getting into. Often I forget that I can face and conquer a situation and succeed. When I take time to remember and internalize my past accomplishments, I regain some confidence and remember what I am capable of achieving. It is a huge internal struggle though sometimes! Turns out my meeting went well and I have some potential opportunities because of it. I wish you the best at the congress; you are in our neighborhood! Check out the Newseum, Portrait Gallery, and Jaleo Tapas Bar if you get any time to explore!
    Pamela recently posted..Help The Ripple Effect 2009 find a better tagline! Cast your vote

I love that we seem to be “on par” with our thoughts for the week Pamela 🙂 Don’t you love that we have these outlets (our blogs) to release some of our “internal struggles?” It really does often help me to face my insecurities!

P.S. Thanks for the suggestions on spots in DC. I am staying with my sister who lives in the area for the 1st night and maybe we’ll check out the Tapas Bar/Restaurant!

5. Lisa says:

Wow those are some amazing accomplishments. Congratulations.
    Lisa recently posted..Dear Vancouver Canucks’ Fans

Thanks! I’m SO excited for my trip. (I’m trying NOT to think about the overwhelming/intimidation part) 🙂

6. I’ve felt this way for the last nine years, the feeling that even though you are the one being pointed at you still look over your shoulder for someone else, thinking it’s not really me you are looking at. However, you were chosen. YOU. For what you do, each and every day. I look forward to meeting you in just a few days! Thank you, mama saxa!

Can’t wait to meet you and all the other amazing women who will be there Myrdin. I’m excited to learn from everyone! (Still lookin’ over my shoulder however! LOL.)

• I’m headed to the White House on Thursday to meet the POTUS and I still keep thinking they have the wrong Myrdin! Then I realize, wait, I’m the only Myrdin so they must mean me! I don’t think we ever stop feeling like we did in elementary school when we were the last choosen for the dodge ball game. Even though as adults we know, who really wants to be choosen first for such a dangerously aggressive game?
        Myrdin Thompson recently posted..Guest blog by Felisa Hilbert "How to Give Children a Shot@Life, and a Future"

I SAW that! Congratulations (Heck! That might have been what even truly sparked my intimidation – wink!)

I really appreciated your comment though. It is a huge confidence boost to know that it is not just me. I know I can contribute. But even more – I KNOW I can learn!

Can’t wait to hear all about your experience on Thursday! Good luck!

7. RoryBore

Congratulations – what an exciting opportunity!

I think everyone should tape that quote to their bathroom mirror. then you’d have a great start to the day.
    Best wishes for the conference.
    RoryBore recently posted..Quotable Bits #16 – Love Sticks

Isn’t that a GREAT quote? I thought it was so funny that it was the first thing that came to my mind when I began writing the post. (I must of watched WAY too much Saturday Night Live in High School! LOL)

8. angie says:

What an incredible opportunity. Good luck!

9. Alexandra says:

Huge congratulations and Yes to everything you said. It takes a lot to be noticed to be selected, to stand out.

This is no accident, there is something you offer and that others see that has placed this opportunity at your feet.

So happy for you, and you deserve it.

xo

What a nice comment to wake up to. Thank you Alexandra. Today I have a long day ahead of me of: administering Final Exams to my college students, followed by a faculty staff meeting, followed by dinner with my family (If I get home in time!) followed by going to bed early (hopefully!) and then waking up at the crack of dawn to leave my family for Washington DC for 4 days. Thank you for helping me start my day a little stronger 🙂

10. Optimistic Mom
    Twitter: anoptimisticmom

Congratulations to you!
    Don’t compare yourself to others, you can learn from them if needed. You were selected because of who you are, not because of who someone else is.
    Enjoy yourself!

Thanks 🙂 It was a fabulous weekend/beginning of the week. I can’t wait to blog more about it over the weekend!

P.S. I repinned your Testing 101 blog post quote image (which was AMAZING) and so far it has: 145 likes, 2 comments and 737 repins! WOW! I hope it leads to some great traffic to your blog. I love reading your posts 😉