The Materialization of a Dream

“Choose your thoughts carefully … you are a masterpiece of your life.”
From the book ‘The Secret’

Nearly two years ago I consciously started to set goals for myself – seemingly impossible goals, yet nevertheless goals I hoped to someday achieve.

Not only did I set goals, but I revisited these goals. Sometimes I wrote my dreams down. Other times I might just talk about them with my husband, my friends, or my family. Occasionally I even considered what lie beyond my crazy, lofty goals.

And in hindsight, what I’ve noticed is that the more I talked and thought about these crazy, pie-in-the-sky dreams, the more…

My dreams actually started to materialize.

So with a handful of dreams and goals in my back pocket and some minor successes that were a great form of personal encouragement, I marched forward with optimism.

And with this knowledge in mind, at the end of January when my friend and coworker Valerie Young posted to our NAMC Policy Blog – Your (Wo)Man in Washington – about applying to be your state’s delegate for Parenting Magazine’s 2012 Mom Congress on Education and Learning Conference taking place in Washington DC, you might not be totally taken by surprised at the optimistic response I left on her blog:

Comment: Just so you know, I am so entering this and plan to visit you in DC

Unbelievably, I had predicted the future.

I knew that I was passionate about education – as a teacher, a mother, and a wife to an education administrator. I wasn’t confident that others saw this passion in me, but I was confident in my own knowledge of my enthusiasm.

I had a dream to attend.
And that dream came true this past week.

Captured on Camera – Day 1 in DC

My trip began a day early to visit with my sister who lives in Washington DC.

My Sister and I

We shopped till we dropped in Georgetown.

I know it doesn’t look like it, but we did some MAJOR damage shopping!

We then did a whirlwind driving tour of Washington DC and the surrounding area. (Courtesy of my sister’s wonderful DC breed boyfriend!)

Whirlwind Driving Tour

And ended our day with a great sushi dinner and ice-cream in Old Town Alexandria.

The Power of Women – Day 2 in DC

The first day of the actual conference I arrived to the hotel early in order to jot off to lunch with two women I admire – Valerie Young (my co-worker and an amazing advocate for women and mothers) and Shannon – the writer of the blog But I Do Have a Law Degree (one of my “must-read” blogs).

There is nothing like the support of other women and mothers to start a day off right and give you a boost of confidence when you are a tad overwhelmed!

And the significant impact and noticeable power of women and mothers continued to shine as we kicked off the conference at Georgetown University.

Me with the 2012 Michigan Delegate and the 2010 Ohio Delegate, Georgetown University Campus, Mom Congress Day 1.

Our Voices Make a Difference – Day 3 in DC

Mothers make a difference and our voices matter.

On the 2nd day of the conference I heard this loud and clear during a town-hall-style meeting at the National Press Club that kicked-off with a discussion on building a successful parent-teacher relationship, moderated by NBC News Chief Education Correspondent Rehema Ellis.

Anna Connery (Editorial Director – Parenting), Rehema Ellis, and Lily Eskelsen (VP – National Education Association)

The conversation on the important roll mothers and parents play in education was reinforced again when the U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan spoke to us (If you’d like to read his full speech you can click here)

2 Photos of US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan

This conference highlight was followed up by many other amazing speakers, presentations and case studies on various topics related to advocating for our own children and advocating for education on a larger scale.

The evening ended with a wonderful dinner at the Lincoln Restaurant where I got to further connect and bond with the other amazing women from all over the country chosen to be Mom Congress delegates this year and in years past.

Photo courtesy of Mary Ellen DeBois, 2012 Minnesota Delegate

That’s a Wrap – Day 4 in DC

Our last day was a whirlwind. Filled with some more amazing speakers and then my travels back to Ohio.

There is so much more I could say about my tremendous experience in Washington DC, (and I will continue to write about it both here and on the Mothers Central Blog,) but for now I want to conclude with a short 3 minute clip of one of the most inspiring speakers I felt I heard during the conference.

Byron Garret is the Chair of the National Family Engagement Alliance and gave an inspiring presentation on his life and background in education. He finished his address with a powerful talk about what he calls the ABC’s of Life. (Note: This video is not taken from the conference, but shows the exact same talk he concluded with.)

It. IS. Powerful.

And to think… I got to do all of this, because I dreamed that I could.
Amazing.

Walt Disney once said: If you can dream it, you can do it.
I think I would have to agree.

A dream… Is a powerful thing.

Leave a Comment. How powerful do you think your dreams are? How often do you revisit your life goals?

This week I am linking up with Just Be Enough.

Just.Be.Enough. has a mission to empower, inspire, and remind women, parents
and children that the time has come to celebrate ourselves.

I am also linking up with Bianca at Bits of Bee for her Quotable Bits Link-up.

This entry was posted in Family, Travel and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to The Materialization of a Dream

1. Congratulations! What an honor and an incredible experience.
    tracy@sellabitmum recently posted..Who Will Be More Popular With The Boys?

I was SO honored. It was definitely an incredible experience and I loved Washington DC! I learned a lot about Education Advocacy – which I expected. What I didn’t expect was to learn as much as I did about myself (which I also plan to write about soon). Thanks for reading Tracy!

2. By Word of Mouth Musings
    Twitter: ByWordsMusings

DC is one of my fav places ever. We lived in Georgetown for two years when we first arrived in the States and now my brother and his wife live in DuPont Circle – love when you have family in places you want to visit.
    Your trip sounded fantastic – and living your dreams- perfect!
    By Word of Mouth Musings recently posted..Pawcurious A Muse and a Meme

I really enjoyed DC and especially Georgetown. I plan on going back soon – especially with my little sister living there!

3. Wow! What a great experience Kate! Amazing what happens when we simply put something out there in the universe – great things!
    Coffee Lovin’ Mom recently posted..Throat Punch Thursday – Tanning and Towing Edition

Yep! Put it out there in the universe and you never know what you’ll get back. Loved the experience of Mom Congress. It is definitely giving me more fuel to write with too!

4. Corey Feldman
    Twitter: coreyjf

What a wonderful opportunity. I hope you had fun in my home town.
    Corey Feldman recently posted..Egret and Sam go for a swim

5. Wow!! What an incredible experience! I’m so happy to see that others are reaching for the stars and making their dreams come true. Mine’s a bit simpler, but yours definitely is one powerhouse of a dream day!
    The Drama Mama recently posted..Heaven for a Day

Small dreams, big dreams… they are all the same. Actually, your dream of sleeping in sounds more impossible to me then my dream of Washington DC :)

6. Elena says:

What a wonderful experience! I heard about the passion & excitement that was so clearly evident during the congress. It is something I definitely would like to learn about for next year. And yes, I could not agree more. Putting our dreams and goals out there into the world makes them real.

It was really a great event Elana – with a lot of amazing women and mothers! I feel so fortunate that I was able to attend!

Looks like you had a wonderful time and truly enjoyed the experience.
    Susi recently posted..I got some sunshine

Wow, what a powerful and inspiring story! I love that you were able to succeed in achieving your dream, and what a dream it was! Thanks for sharing your exciting experience with us, you are an inspiration to mothers everywhere!
    Bits of Bee recently posted..Quotable Bits #18

9. RoryBore

So inspiring. What I love most about this funny little bloggy thing…..seeing all kinds of woman reaching up, up to the height of their dreams. So amazing for you. there’s a quote that I read once….it’s entirety escapes me right now – but something about how our greatest, and truest education begins at a mother’s knees. And it’s so true — the power we have as women and mothers in this world to shape lives, and our world. So thank you so much for stepping out and being that change!
    RoryBore recently posted..Tuesday Coffee Chat: Music to My Ears

We are our child’s first teacher! We as mothers should never underestimate that. This conference taught me this over and over. It was really a fabulous learning experience for me and all the other attendees.

10. Px Smith says:

That was one inspiring video clip. Thank-you for it. I think it is awesome that you have embraced your dreams and made them real. What you said is so true.
    Px Smith recently posted..My Dream Day…

11. Lisa says:

Sounds like an amazing experience. I think dreams and goals are something I need to focus on. Thanks for the reminder.
    Lisa recently posted..Celebrating Five

Deciding to focus on my own dreams and goals is one of the best decisions I ever did. And even though I made a conscious decision to do that – I STILL need reminders myself every once in a while…

12. It was so great to finally meet you (in person!). What an amazing experience you had – so inspiring!
    But I Do Have a Law Degree recently posted..Thanks

Likewise! I love when I get to meet other women and bloggers who have inspire me in person. I hope to be back sooner then later. I loved DC!

13. Pamela says:

What an amazing experience! Thanks so much for sharing and I’m glad you enjoyed DC!
    Pamela recently posted..Belated Blogoversary and Thank You

Thanks Pamala! No time left to visit all the amazing museums and such… but I am set on returning someday soon! Loved the city!