All You Need is Love

Children are like flowers,
water them daily with love and watch them bloom.
~ Author Unknown

My oldest daughter (during her years as an only child) in 2005.

Each summer, one of the many things I look forward to the warm weather bringing is my flowers – my gorgeous summer annuals. I absolutely love them. I care for them almost as if they were my own children.

Over the summer months I sometimes can spend hours wandering my yard watering and pruning to perfection all my colorful annuals. I will admit, by the end of the summer I am usually ready for a break from all the intense care they require, but it never fails, each spring I jump back into taking care of my flowers again with a passion.

It wasn’t always this way.

My love-affair with my summer flowers had a somewhat rocky start.

In the beginning, a little over 10-years ago when my husband and I first became home owners, I’ll admit that I struggled. I would battle over and over to keep them looking fresh and alive.

There were times when I felt as though they took up too much time, or that they were too much of an expense, and maybe that they weren’t growing the way I had hoped and envisioned.

Sometimes I would even doubt myself thinking: Maybe tending to flowers just wasn’t my calling?

I hadn’t grown up surrounded by flowers. The “green thumb” was not something that was passed down from generation to generation as a family tradition. I don’t have any formal training or education or past experience in horticulture.

None of that.

Occasionally (especially in the beginning of my flower-loving days) I would forget to water them and, in panic, look out at their pathetic droopiness certain that I had failed them. I was sure beyond a doubt that their short life was indeed over.

Yet again and again I was able to nurse them back to health and beauty.

And as the years passed by, I believe I got better at tending to them. I got better at loving them. I got better at remembering to water them, at understanding their likes and dislikes. I began to know how much sun or shade or water they needed.

Over time, I’ve learned how to love them much greater then I could have ever imagined. I’ve established how to take care of them better then I would have ever thought I could. Somewhere along the line, I realized that I am actually not half bad at nurturing their growth.

In fact, I am pretty darn good at it.

Three Kids in front of our Backyard FlowersSeven years later – See what a little love can grow?

In order to take care of a life, you have to learn to love it first.
It doesn’t always take a book or a degree to master something.
Many times, all it really takes is some practice, a little patience and a lot of love.

Leave a Comment: How strong of a roll do you believe that love plays in nurturing the growth of any life? What do you love to do when the summer months roll around?

This week I am linking up with Bianca at Bits of Bee for her Quotable Bits Link-up.

This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to All You Need is Love

1. Lisha
    Twitter: lishafink

I believe love plays a huge role in parenting. But it must be accompanied by patience, faith, compassion, and understanding. There must be actions enveloped in that love that are practiced daily.

Great post. Great kids!
    Lisha recently posted..A study of cause and effect: If you give a boy a paintbrush

Very good point Lisha – these actions definitely needs to be practiced each day. I love how you used the word “practice” here too… because you don’t have to be perfect at it 100% of the time – just consistent and with a common, ongoing focus on doing the best you can. Thanks for the insightful comment!

Love, definitely plays a big part in nurturing the growth of any growing thing… especially children. I love this post. I love imagining strolling along your flowers and tending them with the last rays of the sun shining down on you… wish I had a green thumb! :)
    Susi recently posted..Summer Memories

The green thumb hasn’t always been there, but I am so glad to have it now Susi. I especially like this particular passion of mine because I get a break from it during the winter months – it always helps to rejuvenate me for the following summer!

I can’t love the gardening. I just can’t.

Though I DO love watching my kids find joy in their little beans sprouting, so I’m trying my best not to kill anything this year.
    angela recently posted..Choosing Joy

LOL. Well, we all have our own ideas of what is and what IS NOT fun. :) Good luck on those beans Angela!

4. BonnyBard says:

Practice, patience, and love, exactly right – for both plants and children and pretty much anything else in life, in fact.
    Although on my end, not much of a green thumb!
    (visiting from Bits of Bee)
    BonnyBard recently posted..I’ll marry you

5. Bruna
    Twitter: beeswithhoney

You have inspired me with your story. I want so much to be good at gardening and keeping flowers alive and well. I suck at it right now but am determined to keep at it.
    Bruna recently posted..motherhood: heaven or hell?

So beautifully written! Love is definitely the water our little flowers need to grow. Thanks for linking up your quotable bit!
    Bits of Bee recently posted..Tiny Dancer (Quotable Bits #22)

Thanks! So glad you enjoyed the post and my story. I am working hard at trying to shorten my posts and make them relevant to everyone – yet still making sure to stay true to my own passions and current life situations. I love being able to experiment with that in my writing here on my personal blog… And quotes often provide me with the exact tie-in and connection I need to be inspired.

7. Lisa says:

Love is huge. When it comes down to it, we all want to be loved.
    In the summer, I love picnics and the beach.
    I am working on my green thumb. baby steps.
    Lisa recently posted..Run Up for Down Syndrome By the Numbers

Loving your “green thumb” is hard – especially when you have kids, because it just adds one more thing you have to take care of. Somewhere along the line I did learn to love it though. I definitely give the beach two thumbs up! I hope you have a wonderful, picnic-fill, beach-going summer!

8. What a great metaphor, Kate! I loved reading every word of this! I’m just starting my own garden this summer for the first time, but I’ve been growing my human garden for 10 years. Maybe I can get some guidance from that!
    Missy | Literal Mom recently posted..Old-Fashioned Summer – Ensure Success with a Schedule

9. Luke says:

A beautiful allegory and pictures of your adorable wee ones. Thanks for the post!
    Luke recently posted..This Sunday: Losers Worship

You and Kate (and family!) will need to come over sometime this summer to see the flowers in person ;)

10. RoryBore

Love is not just in the air……it IS the air!

And the garden is where you will most often find me too. I have put several years of TLC and back breaking work into my gardens and this year is proving the big pay off! finally! And I just love that my kids get in there with me – they each have their own little spaces and choose their flowers. I hope that it teaches them a love for nature.

great quote and enjoy your garden!
    RoryBore recently posted..Quotable Bits #22 – The Non Quote

I need to remember in include my children more in my gardening – here’s the thing, right now, they don’t seem to have as much love or passion for my flowers as I do. I would LOVE to work side-by-side with them though… I hope someday I can!

11. I think gardening is a great metaphor for my life and my relationships. I am constantly pulling out the weeds and discarding them. You have to remember to water them and give them attention in order for them to grow. Most importantly, though, even though something might look dead, often times it can be nursed back to life.
    The Mommy Psychologist recently posted..Scattered Thoughts