Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Run-and-Hyde

Oh, what a beautiful Mornin’. Oh, what a beautiful day.
I’ve got a beautiful feelin’, everything’s goin’ my way.
~ From the 1955 Musical ‘Oklahoma’

A view of a Winter Morning Sunrise

Earlier (very earlier) Today

It is 5:30 a.m. (Yes – a.m., NOT p.m.) and for a brief moment I lay in our bed, allowing myself a few minutes to more   s – l – o w – l y   wake up.

Some days are easier then others. There are a few days that I need to be pulled out of bed. (Thank you husband!) Other days (and lately more often) I will pop right up, ready to start my day with gusto.

Okay, I’ll admit it. It’s true. I am a morning person and most of the time I LOVE it. There is nothing like the beautiful peace and quiet of the morning silence.

In the morning, everything is fresh.
In the morning, I always feel rested.

And most of all…

I can conquer just about any challenge, I can work and write with both optimism and hopefulness, and I can fix anything with the precision of a surgical doctor.

However, being a morning person does have its flaws…

Last Night (or really most any night)

At 4:30 p.m. is about the point – the point where it slowly starts to kick in. The point that I realize…

Yes, I have in fact been up and at ‘em for 11 hours without one break

AND

It is only 4:30 p.m.

AND

I still have at least 3 (if I’m REAL lucky, realistically in the summer more like 5) hours left of daylight

AND

I have about ZERO energy.

The seamless transition of the morning from:

• work
  • to mom
  • to cleaning lady
  • to judge and jury
  • to taxi cab driver extraordinaire
  • to WHATEVER other roll I randomly have to play during the day

starts beginning to feel …

NOT so seamless.

The lack of patience, the lower levels of tolerance – I feel it. I feel it like the beginning sniffles of a cold that you know is attempting to takeover your body. Every word from any person under the age of 10 begins to sound ever more loud and whiny with each passing minute.

And by 7ish the metamorphosis from surgically precise and optimistic Dr. Jekyll to Mrs. Run-and-Hyde (and maybe find a glass of wine to take with me) is complete.

I am just done. D. – O. – N. – E. Done.

In my mind, nobody in my household could possibly understand what the day has brought and how much energy I have drained. Every flaw – my own, my children’s, my husband’s – is magnified times 1000. And I am ready for bed. (And of course, nobody else is!)

Right Now (aka the afternoon I wrote this, around 2ish)

If the best part of being a morning person is the beauty of a silent house, the absolute worst part of being a morning person is 7 p.m.

So, because this whole need to work peacefully early-rise-thing is here to stay, and because the 7:30 8:30 9:30 p.m. or later family bedtime in this household is also here to stay (at least for the summer), today, I’m trying something new.

Today I am trying something which I hope will stop the transformation from Dr. Jekyll to Mrs. Run-and-Hyde.

It’s called a nap.
And it’s not just for toddlers anymore.
Nope. Not one bit.

It’s also for busy, on-the-go, morning lovin’ moms – I swear to it.

Leave a comment: Are you an early-morning-riser-in-need-of-a-nap kinda parent? How do you work to get through the “witching hours” in your home and add to your “cup of patience?” (And less importantly, yet still significant – is that fact that I need a nap a sign that I am getting older, or that I am just doing too much?)

**Update: So far, so good – over the past few days I have managed to squeeze in about a 1/2 hour power nap nearly every day. But whatever will I do when my toddler stops napping <— Wait, scratch that… positive thoughts… not even going there.**

Did you enjoy this post?
I would love if you shared it with others or considered subscribing via email.

This week I am linking up with Just Be Enough.
The week’s prompt was “How do you live like a champion,” and my answer
to that question is by giving myself permission to take a nap.
Just.Be.Enough. has a mission to empower, inspire, and remind women, parents
and children that the time has come to celebrate ourselves.

I am also linking up with Bianca at Bits of Bee for her Quotable Bits Link-up.

This entry was posted in Blogging and/or Writing, Family, Motherhood and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Run-and-Hyde

1. Elena says:

Ooh yes, a nap. I have not taken one in forever because I always convince myself that I will not sleep well at night. But wow, how I have daydreamed about taking one. Maybe I can master the art of napping this summer? :)

You TOTALLY need to master the art of napping this summer! It is a must for me to maximize my creativity – and most of all, keep my sanity ;)

2. Susie says:

Mornings are no good for me. I prefer late nights. :) But a nap would be really nice every once in awhile.

I would LOVE to work my day like that. I’m a night person, so I can be up until all hours of the night. But getting up earlier would be helpful. Too bad the kiddos are NOT on board the nap train :(

I used to be a night person too… but the problem was that I had a hard time knowing when to call it quits at night and then it became TOO painful to wake up in the morning after only a couple hours of sleep. I guess I am finding the opposite with that now in the evening time. Thank goodness for the 15-30 min. power naps and children who also allow me to take them!

I love the title of this post, and I’m envious of your nap! As a fellow morning person, I hear your pain. For me, the dreaded hour is the hour right after dinner when I’m trying to clean up and get the kids into the bath and ready for bed. While I’m happy to be spending time with them after a long day, this is my burn-out hour when I can only think of the couch that is waiting for me!

I have to say, my napping habit has really started to help that dreaded hour right after dinner! So far, Dr. Jekyll has won out most nights :) Yea!

5. Bruna from Bees with Honey
    Twitter: beeswithhoney

Mornings are crazy! I envy you for being able to take an afternoon nap. If I did that, I wouldn’t sleep at night. Sucks :(

I am like that with coffee and caffeine in general ! Can’t have any after 11:30 a.m. or I won’t sleep at night, but for some reason naps just don’t effect me the same way?! THANK GOODNESS! :)

6. Pamela says:

I love naps; I try to take one when my toddler does in the afternoon. I sleep for an hour while I’m putting her down then get up while she finishes her nap and feel refreshed enough to function. The days she doesn’t nap…ugh. I feel you! I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award.

Thank you SO much for the award Pamala! I love reading your posts – I haven’t been doing a lot of commenting lately, but always, always read :) Due to the fact that I only post once a week here, I probably won’t partake in the award, but I am really truly honored that you thought of me. Thank you!

7. Kelly
    Twitter: kelsey_bar

I am so NOT a morning person. Probably because I usually don’t get to bed until after midnight as I am always trying to squeeze every last minute out of my evening. That said there is still a witching hour at my house but its usually right at bedtime…so the kids don’t suffer too much.

I never used to be a morning person… I’m not quite sure how it all happened. My husband is a morning person and always gets up very early, which might of been what started it! I have truly grown to love my mornings, however, it was a love that definitely too some time to grow on me! Thanks for stopping by Kelly!

Glad you are taking the time to power nap. I used to do that once upon a time and it really does refresh you. I haven’t done it in a while but feel just like you do around 7 pm and then wish I had done it.

9. Lisa says:

I love the mornings. I love to get up at 5:00 to a quiet house to do work or just relax in the silence. I don’t love it when one of my kids gets up at that time because it is my time.

Do your kids often get up at 5? Ohhhh…. that would drive me nuts! :) Occasionally my middle guy will sneak up around 6:30 – I usually tell him to get a book because mommy is working (not to say he always does – but occasionally it seems to give me another 45 mins to an hour).

10. I love the line where you say “In the morning, it is a new day and all my struggles seem small and surmountable. I wake up with confidence and clarity.” Yes, yes to that. And how, by the end of the day, much of that feeling has seeped away with my energy.

Some days are better than others. And some days, much worse. But the idea of a 30 minute power nap? So awesome and brilliant – I’m glad it’s working for you. I might have to try it one of these days!

I highly recommend it Missy. A power nap is truly a powerful thing. I am making it a must – almost like eating food – it is something my body seems to need to survive successfully!

11. Missy says:

I’m not a morning person by nature, but by necessity. It’s the only time to get certain things done, because even if I sleep later I am STILL useless by about 8 p.m. After a day of parenting, working, and general getting-stuff-done, I am not all that productive. So I might as well force myself out of bed early and tackle some of the list!

And yes, I take a power nap almost every day. Heaven help us all on the days I don’t! Ha.