Tick-Tock (and shoo bop shoo wadda wadda yipitty boom de boom)

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn’t happen at once.”

Albert Einstein

My kids have been looking forward to the last day of school for a couple weeks now.

To them, the last day of school felt like an eternity away.
To me, I knew it would come soon enough.

It wasn’t that my children wished for school to be over because they didn’t want to go any more – my kids both seem to enjoy school. No, that wasn’t the reason at all. It was more as though they wished for the last day of school as though it was… say… the Christmas Holiday.

My Third Grader had great expectations of the last day of school.

She made it out to be this magnificent, enormous, amazing, party with yearbooks and picnics and nothing but fun, fun, fun. (And really, she was probably somewhat right!)

She had my Kindergartner (who had yet to experienced a last day of elementary school) drooling with anticipation.

In my oldest daughter’s mind I translate the last day of school looking something like this (minus the sloppy kiss in the beginning!):

If you can’t see the above YouTube video click here.

OK. So sadly I need to admit that my oldest daughter has probably never even watched or heard of Grease the movie yet. But when I picture a major, grand finale to “school’s out for summer,” the utopia celebration at the end of this movie is what I envision – cartwheels, carnival, singing, dancing – the whole shebang.

Grease ends with such bright expectations and hopes of the future.
And what’s more, it sees time through “young eyes” – much like my own children.

Young Eyes

Do you remember when you didn’t think about time? When your dreams all seemed attainable and you had all the time in the world to reach them?

When the last day of school couldn’t come soon enough?

Do you remember when the tic-tock of the clock was an almost silent sound?
Not, instead, a LOUD, pounding, unstoppable and never-ending noise.*
*A noise I now often wish I could just cover my ears and – La-La-La-La-La-La-LAAA – drown out.

Do you remember watching the incredibly S – L – O – W – hands of the large, round school clock hanging over the chalkboard or classroom door? Watching that clock with anticipation as you counted down the hours, minutes and seconds while thinking the bell couldn’t ring fast enough?

Once upon a time, time itself seemed a friend of mine. Now I’m not so sure, because often I all but will it away and work hard to avoid its LOUD ticking sounds.

Time is no longer running a long distance race – but in the lead of a full fledged sprint.
In a blink of an eye, it is suddenly years later.

Selective Memories

This past school year will be forever engrained in my mind as:

1st Day of School (Fall 2011)The 1st Day of School (Fall 2011)

To my Third Grader now Fourth Grader, she may very well remember this year as the year she was voted “Most likely to be on TV” (probably because she was).

To my Kindergartner now First Grader – who was excitedly given the end-of-year award of: “Mr. Role Model,” he might not even remember this past year with much clarity. (I mean truthfully, how much of your own Kindergarten year do you really remember?)

Instead, all my middle son can think about is the immediate present day and:

•    What his next meal is going to be,
•    When he gets to have his next friend over to play, and
•    WHY in the WORLD I would continue to force him to make his bed everyday over the summer!

Oh, what I wouldn’t give to see time through “young eyes” again. To “remembered forever like shoo bop shoo wadda wadda yipitty boom de boom…”

Leave a Comment: What do you remember about the concept of time in your youth vs. the concept of time as an adult?

Did you enjoy this post?
I would love if you shared it with others or considered subscribing via email.

This week I am linking up with Shell at Things I Can’t Say to participate in her “Pour your Heart Out” blog carnival and with Bianca at Bits of Bee for her Quotable Bits Link-up.

This entry was posted in Family, Motherhood and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Tick-Tock (and shoo bop shoo wadda wadda yipitty boom de boom)

1. You know I love you…you know we were seperated at birth and here is another reason to validate that! I just LOVE that movie…and that part, with that song in particular. I remember wishing when I was in school that the end of the year would be all blown up and and as exciting as that scene in Grease. I know…I’m a looser! LOL!

I would kill to see things through “young eyes” again. When Christmas and the Summer Holiday would take FOR-EVER to get here, and then go by in a flash. When things moved so slowly you thought you would just die! Now, things move so fast my head feels like a spinning top at least once every single day!!

Love your posts, as always!
    Hopes@StayingAfloat! recently posted..Sunday Sweetness ~ That Smile

If you’re a loser, then we both are :) Go Grease Lightning – GO! (LOL)

Glad you enjoyed the post, and so happy that you seem to be finding a little more time in your day to maintain a blog/life balance…

2. Bruna from Bees with Honey
    Twitter: beeswithhoney

Love that movie ! I still see the end of the school year through the eyes of children. I teach first grade and SO look forward to my summers. That video clip, is really how I feel at the end of the year. The summer holds so many wonderful and thrilling opportunities of which I get to enjoy at home with my kids for 2 whole months!
    Bruna from Bees with Honey recently posted..fairytopia

Too funny! I never thought about the teacher perspective! I teach college courses as an adjunct (last year I taught 3 classes which is almost full time) and I can totally relate this summer to your feelings! Enjoy your time with your kiddos!

I love that movie too, and I would give anything to enjoy time through “young eyes” too! I love how you put – time is no longer a long distance race but a full fledged sprint. If only I could keep up now! Thanks for linking up :)
    Bits of Bee recently posted..Inspired By Bloom (Quotable Bits #23)

I actually really loved how you put it when you tweeted the post out: “Long distance run or full fledged sprint – is time on your side?” What a great accurate way to describe the post!

4. Well definitely as a child time seemed to move a lot slower than it does now, that’s for sure! And I really like that quote. Albert was a cool guy.
    Just Jennifer recently posted..Getting to Know My Daughter Better

Albert is a cool guy ;) And I just LOVED your quote:

“A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future!”

What a great Quote!

I always remember time ticking by too slowly when I was little and now, when I want it to slow down sometimes… it just seems to race by!!! And I, too have enjoyed Grease!
    Susi recently posted..My Astrogirls

I rarely watch movies or TV anymore – so when I think of currently life experiences, often I think of and/or quote old movies and shows. Grease is one of my all time favorites Susi!

6. Adrienne
    Twitter: themommymess

I loved that quote at the top. I miss the innocence of childhood, when I didn’t think about so much. Great post! Stopping by from Shell’s PYHO. :)

So glad you stop by via PYHO! I love reading your posts Adrienne (I subscribe to you via my Google Reader).

7. RoryBore

It’s funny….time seemed to pass soooo slowly when you were a kid. You couldn’t hardly wait for all those first time moments to finally arrive. First sleepover, first bike ride alone, first date, first kiss, driving, etc. etc. And yet, you somehow also managed to just be in the moment at the same time. That is the special gift of children I think. To dream with wonder and anticipation of the future that waits, while having living to the fullest in the immediate present.
    Sadly, we probably lose that lovely combination as adults. Our worries overtake us. Our urge to hurry limits us. And time goes too fast and slips away from us. We need a new mantra: never hurry, never worry! LOL
    and thanks so much for the Grease song — it just means “summer” :)
    RoryBore recently posted..Quotable Bits #23: Just Take the Shot!

Love it! —> “Never hurry, never worry” :)

That might just have to eventually be a “Quoteable Bits” post ;)

8. Love Grease and love that ending scene! AND time. Time, time, time, time, time. Used to crawl, now flies. Lightning speed, girl. Lightning speed. Hard to take a breath sometimes, you know?

9. Stasha says:

I remember how long an hour was and how quick it passes now. I miss being bored. I have not been bored since last decade…
    Lovely writing!

Come to think of it, I can’t remember the last time I said “I’m Bored” either! (And I am certain, like my own children, I used to say that on a daily basis!).

10. Shell says:

Time moved so slowly as a child- even a day could last forever. And now, it all seems to go by so quickly!

11. Tatum B. says:

I remember as a child thinking I can’t wait until the next “major” milestone in my life (i.e. driving, high school, reaching 21!) it just seemed to take FOREVER! I even remember doing it a bit with my first born – I can’t wait until she starts crawling, talking, walking, etc.

Now, a little over a week before my 35th birthday I’m silently screaming…..SLOW DOWN! It all just seems to fly by in the blink of an eye. Really goes to show you that old saying is true, the days are long but the years are short :(

The days definitely seem much longer then the years – that’s for sure! It seems like just yesterday that I was in high school, yet if feel like YEARS since this morning began :)