The Importance of Timing

To My Husband:

All we need is love.

Well, love and a little perseverance.
And a sense of humor.
And the ability to admit a mistake.
And trust. And kindness. And patience.

Okay, we need a lot of stuff to keep our marriage strong.
And look at us. We’ve got it all.

~ Hallmark Card

Once upon a time, on a college campus not-so-far-away, there sat a girl – a young, 20-something-ish girl, full of promise yet not too sure of what she wanted to do with her life. (Does anyone in their 20’s?)

Once upon a time, on the same not-so-far-away campus, lived a young (er) 20-something-ish-boy, also full of promise, yet (unknowingly) missing something.

Both completely and utterly …

Unaware of the importance of timing.

Both connected by friends, by location and by multiple activities for years.
Often in the same place at the same time – though never once meeting until…

The time was right.

Timing. One of life’s unsolvable mysteries.

Eventually, the time came for this young, 20-something-ish girl and this young (er) 20-something-ish-boy to meet. And the rest is (as they say) history.

This Sunday we celebrate our 12-year anniversary.
Look what timing has given us.

Celebrating New Years EveCelebrating New Year’s Eve 1999 – Dating, not yet even engaged.

Wow! How a couple years of time can change the image.

2001-2002Left: 2001 – Our 2nd Christmas together as a married couple (in our new home with our new puppy – a.k.a 1st kid).
Right: 2002 – Christmas (3 days after the birth of our 1st child – thus the tired look on my face!)

The “Only Child” Years

Left to Right: Christmas 2003, Christmas 2004, Christmas 2005 (pregnant with #2)

A Growing Family of Four
(plus our puppy – no wait, he’s not a puppy anymore – dog!)

Left to Right: Christmas 2006, Christmas 2007

Left to Right: Christmas 2008, Christmas 2009 (pregnant with #3)
(Photos taken by Kim Fordham Photography)

The Year of the “Unplanned” Hair Cut.

Christmas 2010: The year our middle child cut his own hair meaning –> NO professional photos …
(just a bunch of cute kids with Santa hats – to hide the hair mishap!)

Last Holiday Season.

Christmas 2011: Our poor dog, didn’t make the cut this year. It is way too hard to get
3 kids, 2 adults AND a dog to all look and smile at the same time.
(Photos taken by Kim Fordham Photography)

Here’s to 12 more years of perfect (albeit frustratingly unplanned) timing.

Happy Anniversary!

Love always,
Your wife and partner in life.

This week I am linking up with Bianca at Bits of Bee for her Quotable Bits Link-up.

This entry was posted in Family and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Importance of Timing

Happy Anniversary! I loved seeing all the different photos over the years :)

Thanks Angela! I also took all the photos and also printed them, then added them to a photo album captioned and in order by the years. I left pages so that every year he could add our new family photo. It was a great, low budget gift that he is excited to put up in his office.

2. Anna says:

Happy Anniversary Katy!!! Great to see you have such a happy family!!!
    Love over the miles from me and Sandro. Anna

3. Oh, Kate! Happy anniversary! What a beautiful family you have. Keep up the loving, healthy marriage! It’s an encouragement to see joy in marriage! <3

Thanks Susie! All marriages have their ups and downs – once I realized that, I knew we could make it last!

4. Pamela says:

Congrats on 12 years! That’s wonderful!

Thanks so much Pamela. It hasn’t always been easy… but I definitely could never have asked for a better life partner in my husband :)

How fun to see the progression through the years! They’re all such lovely family photos, but are you sure you have them in the right order? You look younger now than you did 12 years ago! I loved the quote from the Hallmark card, perfect!

Aw! You’re too sweet :) (It is amazing how much youth you get back simply by happiness – oh, plus hair coloring – best invention EVER!)

6. Kelly
    Twitter: kelsey_bar

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I will celebrate our 13th anniversary in September and I keep wondering where the time went. I loved seeing your photos over the years. I made a photo book for my husband at Christmas filled with pictures of our life together and it was a great reminder of everything we had experienced together. Its so easy to forget – once you have kids – that you weren’t always defined by them. Congrats!

I also put the photos together as printed versions in an album for my husband to take to work. It really is fun to see the progression of time!

7. RoryBore

Happy Anniversary! I love how you told the story. lovely pics!