Chasing the Sunset

The summer days are quickly falling by the wayside.

The hustle and bustle of the summer schedule is soon to be replaced by the just-as-hustled-and-bustled schedule of school. Pool days will quickly turn to school days. Days will grow cooler and darker while our fun in the sun gradually shifts to fun inside. And the mornings of sleeping in will become something we dream about doing only infrequently on the weekend.

This is the unavoidable cycle of the seasons.
And I think I’m OK with moving onto fall. However…

Not before creating one last summer memory during a quick getaway to Lake Michigan.

My husband and I on the beachMy Husband and I, enjoying our time together during our trip.

For a long time my husband and I rarely went anywhere far without our children.

However, a few years back we started trying to carve out more moments just for us, and since then we have not looked back. This periodic time alone is good for our marriage and a well deserved and much needed break for both of us from life’s daily grind.

This year, for three full days, we decided to visit the small town of South Haven, Michigan – which is about a three hour trip from our home. Close enough to drive, far enough to feel like a true vacation.

We had no idea what to expect, having never visited the small town on the eastern coast of Lake Michigan. However, any expectations we had of the trip …

Were far exceeded.

The quaint bed and breakfast we found online was as beautiful and private as we had imagined.

Victoria Resort Bed & Breakfast montageTop: the front of the B&B. Bottom left: Breakfast at the B&B. Bottom Right: By the B&B sign.

Biking the town using the B&B’s complementary bikes provided a great way to sightsee and shop.

Biking the Lake sideBiking by the shoreline.

Biking around townLeft: Shopping around town. Middle: The bike rack at the B&B. Right: The quaint streets of South Harbor.

The restaurants and nightlight left us enjoying romantic dinners for two, waterside drinks and late night entertainment.

Restarunts and Nightlife in South Haven MichiganLeft and Center: The Idler Restaurant and Bar, Right: Live music at Yorks.

We even managed to squeeze in a jazz concert by the harbor and an afternoon/evening visit to Saugatuck, MI – a larger town just a short car ride away – to meet up with good friends.

Jazz in South Haven Harbor and Dinner at Mermaids in SaugatuckTop: Waterfront dinner with friends at Mermaid Bar and Grill in Saugatuck. Bottom: Jazz at Riverfront Park in South Haven.

And the beaches left me speechless. They were beyond anything we had ever imagined possible in our neighboring state of Michigan. It felt as though we were ocean-side, minus the heavy, salt water.

Me at the beach in South Haven, Michigan

Yet by far, my absolute favorite part of our trip was:

Chasing the sunset…

A view of who was walking and what we were walking towards(left) People flocked in droves towards (right) the harbor’s point just to see the sunset.

Going.

Sun setting photos of South Harbor Michigan

Going.

Going…

Sunset and Lake

Gone.

Just like that.
An amazing sunset to a just as amazing summer.

OK school year… bring it on. I’m ready.

I think.

Leave a Comment: Have you ever been able to take an occasional getaway without kids in tow? I feel so fortunate that we are able to do so.

Mamamash

We forgot our “real camera” on this trip SO this week I plan to link up with mamamash and Greta at g*funk*ified who co-host #IPPP (iPhone Photo Phun). Not only were all these photos taken with my Phone, but due to Siri, we also had the precise calculation of the sun’s departure for our chase to see it smolder into Lake Michigan! :)

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Chasing the Sunset

1. Ginny Marie
    Twitter: lemondroppie

South Haven is one of my all time favorite vacation spots! My husband and I spent our first anniversary there. :D We haven’t gone on a vacation yet without the kids though. Maybe some day!

The time away without kids is priceless Ginny!

I can’t believe that we had never visited Lake Michigan or South Haven before! Such an amazing spot and only 3 hours from our home. We will definitely be returning :)

2. julie kranz says:

We have never been there, but now we plan on going due to your great photos and descriptions.

I hope you do get the opportunity to go Julie. We had such a wonderful, relaxing time! I really was one of the best getaways we’ve taken together.

I love sunsets and can never get enough of them. Beautiful pics. The hubby and I have been trying to get away more on our own this past year and I hope we can continue to get this weekends in. :)

You see a lot of gorgeous sunsets in Florida… I love looking at the sunset photos you catch Susi. I was so disappointed that I forgot our “real” camera, but I think that my iPhone actually ended up doing well – even with the sunsets!

P.S. My fingers are crossed that you have a great upcoming weekend! :)

Those are two of my favorite little Western Michigan towns! Great choices, and I’m glad you enjoyed your time away :)

5. jan leksich says:

I am the owner of the Victoria Resort and want to say thank you so much for the kind words and so glad you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to seeing you again and remember we are open year round and Nov/Apr offer romantic getaway packages with a choice of massage or dinner along with many specials that we post on our web page. Hope to see you again soon. Jan Leksich

My parents may now be taking a visit now to South Haven in the Fall and we hope to send them your way. :) Thanks again for being such a integral part of our short getaway!

6. Katie E
    Twitter: euregirlsandboy

Beautiful pictures! And it looks like such a relaxing break away from everything. We’ve never gone on a trip without our kids, but we don’t really like to travel that much. We have, however, sent out kids away to the grandparents so we have time alone at home – just as good for us!

I love a good “stay-cation” in our home sans kids. Doesn’t happen much, but when it does it is just as good as any vacation anywhere :)

7. Julie says:

Beautiful shots! I’m quite envious of your getaway. We’ve just begun having children, so it’ll be awhile before we can get away ourselves. Looking forward to those moments though, so much. Thanks for linking up!

We wish we would have started taking even 1-night getaways earlier. If you can do it – DO it! Sometimes I feel that these quick getaway trips doesn’t only help me as a wife, but also as a mother. My patience increases with the “break” from the kids – as does my extent of my love for all three of my kids because I realize how much I miss them :)

8. Kerstin
    Twitter: kerstinauer

That sounds and looks wonderful!
    My husband and I can’t wait until we can go away for a weekend together. It’ll be a few years, but it’s a goal ;)
    We moved to Canada 4 years ago and since there is no other family here, we’re always on our own when it comes to taking care of our kids. So we’ll have to wait until they are old enough to stay by themselves, maybe even one night. Our daughter is 15 and our son 11, so hope is on the horizon…

Yes, hope IS on the horizon for you :) – We are so fortunate to have family only 25 minutes from our home…

9. Farrah says:

Gorgeous pics! I am from Michigan originally and spent many a summer on a beach, in a beach town. Such great memories. Hubs and I recently got to sneak away on an onfo trip overseas for a week without the boys- first time away from them. It was awesome. We spent one day in Amsterdam and it felt like we were dating again!

One full week? WOW! That sounds like Bliss. We have only managed short 3-4 day getaways as of yet, however we do have a November trip where we are gone for nearly 6 full days and I am SO looking forward to it.

Michigan was a beautiful destination. How lucky were you to grow up so close to the beach!? :) We live on a small pond (that I refer to as our puddle) and that is as close as we will get to living by “water” for now I think!