Once Upon a Crib

“The sky is falling! The sky is falling!”

~ Chicken Little

The long day had about come to an end and I was finally taking a moment to rest.

• At 8:30 p.m. I had safely tucked my 2-year-old into his crib.
  • By 9:15 p.m. my 6 and 8-year-old had hit their beds hard after a long day of neighborhood play.
  • And finally, as the clock struck 9:30 p.m., I allowed myself to unwind in the comfort of our La-Z-Boy recliner, my feet propped up and a small pillow supporting my neck, the perfect spot to relax and take in:

The lovely stillness of a house that is rarely still.

Thoughts of the pending school year and all the likely changes it will bring with it began to fill my head – yet just as quickly as these thoughts arrived they were suddenly, rudely interrupted by the strange yet somewhat familiar sound of:

Squeak … BAM. Squeak … BAM.

Pause…

Squeak, squeak … BAM, BAM.

The sound echoed like thunder on the second floor of our home, and I sat there in decision-making-mode as I knowingly glanced towards my husband’s conflicted expression. We listened together to the familiar sound of our two-year-old using his crib as a mini trampoline.

The loud noises inadvertently became sure and scary reminders that the change of the upcoming school year wasn’t the only change on our horizon.

Squeak … BAM. Squeak, squeak … BAM.

Change is unavoidable, however I really didn’t want to believe or admit that our youngest (our baby) was most likely ready to move on – out of the jail-like confines of his crib.

The same crib that was broken in by our daughter over 9 years ago after her return from the hospital. The same crib which has seen 4 different nursery rooms – all stuffed with love, laughter, crying, panic, exhaustion, poopie dippers, late nights, early mornings and many unsuccessful attempts to fill with the coveted pastime of sleep.

“Should I?”

The remark bravely left my lips as I looked at my husband. (A million other unasked questions wrapped up in those two simple words.)

In the on-again/off-again silence that was our evening, we both surely knew that
once we moved forward, there was no going back.

I slowly stepped out of the comforts of my chair and walked to the stairs – listening to the sounds coming from the nursery above. Glancing up at the dinning room chandelier I imagined (?) the fixture softly vibrating as dust fell from it – loosened and freed by the increasingly louder and stronger bounces from our little olympic gymnast above.

I didn’t want to believe that the “sky could be falling” and our little boy was growing up.

Three times. Three kids. Three ongoing, never-ending, harder and harder transitions.

Squeak… CRACK. BAM!

It was time.

(God help me. Because now this means the next hurdle is potty training.)

My youngest waking up in his big-boy bedMy youngest the next morning. Waking up for the 1st time in his “big-boy” bed.

Leave a Comment: Do you have a hard time saying goodbye to different stages?

This week I am linking up with Bianca at Bits of Bee for her Quotable Bits Link-up.

This entry was posted in Family, Motherhood and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Once Upon a Crib

I had a hard time with the crib, too.

I am trying so hard to say goodbye to diapers. It turns out that unlike my daughter, the next stage isn’t underwear but stock in Oxyclean.

Potty training marks the bane of my existence… seriously, I DO NOT look forward to that stage. Oxyclean – here I come! The only pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is: no more diapers. (That will be extremely weird after 9+ years of nearly always having one child in diapers!)

I love the way you told your story, well done! Neither of my kids figured out how to get out of their cribs – I sometimes wonder if I moved them into their big kid beds too soon! Very cute picture of him waking up in his big kid bed!

My youngest is just 2 1/2. That seems young to move to a “big kid” bed – but now that I think about it, my daughter moved prior to age 2 and my son moved around 2 1/2 also. So far, so good. He actually seems to be sleeping much better now that he has a more supportive mattress. (He may be 2, but he is big enough to look like a 4-year-old. Really, I thought he might break the crib on that last trampoline jump! LOL)

3. Sheila Banerji says:

As someone who recently had their baby move out of his “crib”, I can so relate! Transitions are inevitable. I hate them and I love them at the same time. “Squeak. Crack. Bam.” is probably the best way I ever heard about watching your child grow. There is a constant squeak, if you listen. The cracks can be a hard time to navigate safely through and the BAM sometimes brings resolution and forces those new beginnings. Another great post Kate!

Thanks Sheila. I have to say, that I really feel like the transitions just keep getting harder and harder as they grow. Maybe it is life’s way of “easing” us parents into better handling the harder transitions…?

4. RoryBore

this is the one transition I loved. because I am so short and our crib was so high….I could barely get the child intothe bed in the first place. and it would kill my back to be on my tippy toes to lift them back out. The toddler bed was my friend.
    potty training, not so much. that’s where I feel your pain.

Potty training. Ugh. I cringe at the thought of writing a post in 500 words or less on that! (That’s been my goal this summer here at On-the-Go Momma, good content and life stories in 500 words(ish) or less!) I have a feeling Potty training will take up MANY more than just one post here :)

5. Lisa says:

My son gave up his crib at 15 months after an extended holiday where he had slept in a big bed with mommy. Needless to say I was NOT ready. He is my last and I wanted him in his crib until he was 11! He is 3 now and all is good. If it is any consolation he was way easier to potty train than my daughter. Good luck.

I will admit, this is my 3rd child to potty train… and I don’t even know where to begin! (Not joking!) All I remember is that it was NOT FUN with my other two! Thanks for the wishes of luck – I will definitely need it!

6. Transitions make me sad, because I know we’re leaving behind a stage that we won’t go back to again. But I have to say, the squeak, squeak, bam made me laugh! I love your descriptions. Best of luck with all of your transitions! :)

Transitions make me sad also, for the exact same reason. :( I’m ready to move on – but it doesn’t make saying goodbye any easier…