Note: Since I was absent last week on this blog, the following is my feeble attempt at recapping two VERY LONG weeks in one short(ish) post.
“Honey, have you seen my earrings?” I yelled down from upstairs.
Where could they be? I vividly remembered taking them off in our bathroom after my very long and crazy day consisting of:
- Waking up at 5:30 a.m.
- Getting 2 kids off to school
- Working from home in the morning
- Teaching two college classes in the afternoon
- Taking my oldest child to her soccer game after school
- Meeting my other two children at a family gathering
- And finally returning home around 9:30 p.m.
Yes, it had been an obnoxiously busy day however, I specifically remembered taking my favorite silver hoop earrings off in our master bathroom but they were no where to be found.
Irritated. I was ridiculously irritated – with myself and my busy life.
Sometimes I feel like I’m going crazy.
Especially these past couple weeks.
However, I need to remember that life isn’t always this chaotic…
Monday Morning – 2 Weeks Ago (7 A.M.)
Within the comfort of our cozy bed, my sound sleep was interrupted by words which began to rhythmically blast:
♫ Ohh… this is how it starts…
Lightning strikes the heart,
It goes off like a gun… ♪
And panic momentarily encompassed me as I realized it was my daughter’s morning alarm for school.
OH NO! Did I oversleep?!!? I frantically thought as the song’s chorus ended:
♫ Brighter then the sun. ♪
Specs of sun escaped into our bedroom through the edges of our curtains and I quickly shot up to a sitting position thinking I had overslept, until…
I noticed my husband was also still laying in bed and I remembered that it was Labor Day.
Not only that, but it was Labor Day and ALL three of our children had spent the previous night with grandma – leaving my husband and I home alone all day until after dinner.
As I slowly made my way to my daughter’s empty bedroom to turn off the early morning voice of Colbie Caillat on her iPod, I contemplated if I should go back to bed or stay up.
How often do I get to sleep in late, especially in the comforts of my own bed?
Yet on the flip side:
- How often am I able to enjoy a beautiful morning sunrise without a mad rush to start the day?
- How often do I get to take a long morning speed walk with my husband?
- How often do I get to delightfully work in the silence of my own home without interruption?
- How often do I get to enjoy a quiet, lazy afternoon in our backyard by the water?
How often do I get to do ALL this and then STILL have our 3 kids returned in our arms by night fall.
With my decision made, I immediately turned off the alarm and went down the steps to grab a cup of coffee and watch the sunrise – sealing the deal that began one of the best 1-day stay-cations I’ve ever experienced to date.
I NEED to remember that rare gem-of-a-day only 2 weeks ago…
Because how quickly it can change.
Since then, when I haven’t been teaching, writing, leading meetings, planning meetings, going to meetings, and taxiing back and forth from the soccer fields to home, I’ve been…
Diligently searching for my earrings – my favorite hoop earrings. The earrings I SWORE I took off in our master bathroom just a couple days ago.
Let me assure you, I checked everywhere.
- My jewelry box (duh!) and my purse
- My daughter’s and my son’s rooms
- My bathroom (because this is the last place I remember having them) and the kid’s bathroom (because maybe my mind confused the two bathrooms??)
- And OF COURSE the refrigerator (because you never know where a 2-year-old can put something and I always blame missing items on the 2-year-old!)
Yet the earrings – my favorite earrings – seemed to be NO WHERE. It was almost as if the busyness and chaos of life had stolen my earrings.
Two weeks. Only two weeks since my glorious day relaxing at home. Two weeks felt like a lifetime ago. What’s more, I had just about given up any hope on ever finding my favorite earrings until FINALLY
They turned up.
Where were they? What place had possibly gone unchecked in our overly busy, chaotic home over the past couple of weeks?
DUH – the laundry room.
It seams when I took them off in our master bathroom, I proceeded to throw them down the laundry shoot. Makes perfect sense! –> Laundry Shoot / Jewelry box. Same thing… right?
Because, THAT FOLKS, is what a person that allows herself to be too busy to think … does. Life has again gotten busy – it isn’t the 1st time and won’t be the last time.
However, I refuse to let life steal my favorite earrings EVER again.
NOTE TO SELF: Life does slow down… yet only if I let it. <– Must remember this!
Leave a Comment: Where’s the craziest place you’ve ever “misplaced” an item when overextending yourself too much in life?