There and Back {Part 1}

AUTHOR’S NOTE: The following is a two part reflection of my recent trip to Florida with my husband. We had an amazing trip, but the real story lies in the before and after. I hope you’ll return next week for Part 2.

PART 1: There

I’m not gonna lie, up until the very moment I stepped onto our plane (destined for a 5-day getaway) the sadness, stress and tragic events that unbelievably consumed much of my normal, busy, everyday life had begun to catch up with me.

My husband and I both left our home physically exhausted from lack of sleep and worries.

• There were small-sized concerns (such as making sure our kids got everywhere they needed to be while we were away)
  • There were large-sized uncertainties (especially as I considered my friends and co-workers in Long Island who continued to face ongoing strains and stresses after Hurricane Sandy)
  • There were emotional, all-encompassing worries (such as the news that a new tumor had recently been discovered in my young nephew – already a Cancer survivor)
  • And then there were the unreasonable and silly stresses (such as planning for the craziness that is my month of December)
  • Along with other unthinkable tragedies striking all-too-close-to-home (such as this one that hit 3 children in our school district the day before we were scheduled to leave)

And what’s listed above is only a fraction of what had been consuming our daily lives. It was like every sad, tragic, stressful thing that could possibly have happened without pushing me completely over the edge – had occurred.

As if preparing to leave three busy, young children with family for a few days of rest as a couple wasn’t challenging enough, life had to also throw out all these additional, emotionally draining curve balls…

You can start to envision the tsunami-like wave looming to overtake our now very noticeably forced positive attitudes.

We almost cancelled our vacation.
Almost.

But we didn’t.

Instead, as our tired, mentally exhausted bodies slammed into our seats on the plane I closed my eyes, trying to remember how to relax. I picked up my iPad, opened up my Kindle App and started to read (something I rarely allow myself the luxury to do) as we made our way there.

There. The relaxing spot my husband and I like to call our home away from home.

Isla Del Sol Grassy area

Isla del Sol Pool

Isla del Sol BeachPictured above: our views from the condo, the pool and the beach.

And for the 1st time in over a week, as I sat slumped in my tiny seat on the airplane, I was truly able to envision and count ALL our blessings.

Our health. Our home. Our loving family that helped to make this escape possible. I felt so thankful that my husband and I could break free for just a few days – a few days that coincided exactly with when we so desperately needed a break the most.

At least for a short time we could escape all the madness and uncertainty that seemed to surround us and…

Begin to focus on building back up our emotional strength.

I sat exhausted, tired, drained… but hopeful. And hope is important.
I was so thankful to have even an ounce of hope on the way there.

Leave a Comment: What keeps you positive when it seems as though a dark patch will never end? It is often in my darkest moments that I find the most to be thankful for.

* Thank you for reading Part 1 – There. Up next week: Part 2: Back

This week I am linking up with Just Be Enough writing to the prompt of “Thankful.”

Just.Be.Enough. has a mission to empower, inspire, and remind women, parents
and children that the time has come to celebrate ourselves.

This entry was posted in Family, Travel and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to There and Back {Part 1}

1. Rorybore

what an awful tragedy. honestly, I hardly know what to expect from this world anymore.

glad you and hubby got a much needed break! Myself and hubby have been busy planning for our 10th anniversary in August 2013!! we have not really been away since our honeymoon!!! Once kids arrived and I stayed home, it just became impossible in terms of time and finances.
    but, what….9 months from now??? we will finally have Our Time!!
    9 months. piece of cake. I’ve waiting that long 3 times already!

9 months and counting for ya! Our 10-year anniversary was our 1st big trip away by ourselves too. That was what started this yearly getaway. You will have so much fun! Where are you thinking of going?

Reading stories like that makes me so sad ๐Ÿ™ I’m glad you were able to put it aside and get away; I’m sure it did your soul a lot of good to be in such a beautiful place and not have to rush, rush, rush even for a few days.

It was the best possible scenario to help us rebuild our spirits. The weather was a little cool the 1st couple of days but I could have cared less. To just have a moment of quiet when we most needed it most was priceless. I was SO THANKFUL …

3. Tatum says:

I will never understand how someone can harm an innocent child. It’s also always doubly heartbreaking for me when it’s someone they trusted ๐Ÿ™

Happy to hear you and your hubby got a break and were able to recharge after such a stressful few weeks. I wish my husband and I had that opportunity but right now it’s a luxury we can’t afford. I’m willing to settle for “date nights” until then ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. Our thoughts and prayers go out to your nephew and extended family.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers Tatum. We got the best possible news on Wednesday that my nephew’s tumor had not grown in the last 2 weeks or so. That was such good news to get while away and allowed us to relax even a little bit more midway through our time away.

We are so lucky to have our family members. The condo we stayed at while away belongs to my parents which helps to make our trip affordable (along with the blessing of family to help with the kids). Your time will come. We never got away by ourselves except for short over nights until our 10-year anniversary. However, we feel just as lucky when we manage a “stay-cation” at home. Maybe you could eventually finagle that? ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Sounds like you’ve had a really hard time the past few weeks. That story about carbon monoxide poisoning is awful! Can’t wait to hear next week’s part 2!

Part two is much less dark ๐Ÿ™‚

The story about the kids is still a struggle though. Very hard to swallow and so sad to think about…

That story is just heartbreaking. Something very similar happened in my neighborhood about two years ago when a mom killed her daughter and her daughters best friend by carbon monoxide poisoning — it is just awful. I’m glad you were able to get away and enjoy the palm trees and sunshine for a few days. I often realize how lucky I am when things don’t seem to go right!

It is just so senseless, tragic and unbelievable… my husband attended the funeral today (he is an administrator in our school district and knew both the family and kids), he said it was one of the saddest things he has ever done. My heart just breaks for the family.

6. Luke says:

What a huge temptation to stay with so much going on! I am happy you two got away and had time to rest and relax! Looking forward to part two.

We actually called the airport to try and reschedule and it would have cost more than our original tickets did. I am so glad that we were sort of forced to go. Sometimes it takes being forced… you know??

• Luke says:

No doubt! Sometimes events conspire and we’re forced to go, both for the positive and negative. Hopefully this was positive in the face of all the negative.

I just read about the children and the carbon monoxide. How horrible.